Friday, November 14, 2008

What's in a Name?

What a wonderful Friday! I am usually off today but I had to stay home with the kids this past Tuesday. It's kind of nice coming in here on Friday's because no one is here. I took time to pray for this Sunday and the Lord began to reveal somethings to me.


Recently I read somewhere, but I can't remember where, that the first blessing we speak over our children is their name. If you look through the Bible you will see the significance of the naming a child. Look at Jacob (Genesis 25:26). He lived out His name till the Lord changed it. Or what about Jabez (1 Chronicles 4:9). Or how about Peter (John 1:42). Jesus changed his name to Peter for a very significant reason. Names are important.


Now I say all of that because I've been thinking about the name of the church New Life Center. Since I became pastor, I have often thought about changing the name of the church and that thought was even brought up again recently. As I see it, there really isn't a problem with the New Life part but there have been concerns about Center. Are we a Center or a Church? Does Center really tell people who we are or is it confusing? But as I was praying today the Lord showed me that our name is not a mistake. Our name has significance behind it, that goes back to when our church was founded in the late 70's. He spoke to me that we are going to bring New Life to the people right here in the Center of Ford City. That's right, our church is on 9th Street which is the center of town. We are not Main Street, that's a block over, but we are the center of Ford City. Amazing isn't it? Those who started our church, did they have this in mind when they named this church? I believe that we are going to begin to stand up becoming the Center of this area in bringing New Life. It's our destiny. It's written in our name! So our name is very significant. I can't see changing it.


I also began to speak the release of New Life in this church and this area, the release of healing in this church and this area, and the release of the Gifts of the Spirit in this church and this area. What an amazing time I had listening to the Lord as He began to impart to me the importance of our name. New Life Center, what a beautiful name that the Lord has given us. Be ready for what the Lord will do this Sunday. It's going to "Bless Your Socks Off!"

No comments: