Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Your Heart, Part 2...

We must also be careful of the Proud Heart.  Pride can hinder our intimacy with God.

Pride can also lead to self-reliance.  I notice it in myself.  Maybe you've heard people talk about how others can't do things the way that they can?  I admit that I've done it.  Why?  Pride.  Instead of giving others a chance to grow in ministry, I take that opportunity because I am so focused on me and what I can do and how I can do it.  Shame on me.  Especially, when I know that there are people out there that can do things 100's of times better than me.  That is not putting myself down, it is knowing the truth and we all know that knowing the truth will set us free.

People who minister can be bound by self-reliance so much that it can lead to burn out.  We can become full time workers at keeping our reputations instead of letting God do His thing that we burn ourselves out and quit our ministry or leave the church altogether.  Why burn out when the answers are sitting all around you... other people.  Don't worry about your reputation of always being on top of things or having things altogether.  Those talents of getting things done are God given for us to use for His glory, not to be abused by thinking we have some kind of super power that we can't let others be a part.

The Proud Heart must be repented of and humbling ourselves must become our daily routine.  Humbling ourselves starts with worshipping God and declaring that without Him we are nothing.  He is our source of strength.  All the glory and honor and power belong to Him.

Lord, forgive me of my proud heart.  Help me realize everyday that it's all about what You do through me, not what I can do.  I gladly lay pride down so that I don't burn myself out trying to do what I cannot do.  I don't want to try and keep up an appearance for the sake of my ego.  I confess and repent and accept Your forgiveness.  Amen.

No comments: