Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Your Heart...

I was recently asked to help mentor someone through their internship class through Global University. What a privilege it is to help another person pursue the calling God has placed on them. I have taken this privilege as a serious responsibility. I believe this person has a great call and I know that Satan will do whatever he can to try and steal, kill, and destroy this calling.
In this class, I read through the same material that the person does, only my reading is abbreviated. The section that we are on now is "Turning from the Wrong Heart." What a powerful section. It has been hitting me hard and bringing me back to the basics of ministry, loving Jesus with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.
The first heart mentioned in this section is the doubting heart. It is so easy to doubt in ministry. Especially, when people begin to question how you are doing things. And that happens, far too often. But it mustn't dictate the calling and direction that God is leading you. We must remember this. We are put in place to please God, not man.
Sometimes in our doubt we will begin to try and do things on our own, like Jesus is not moving fast enough. Picture Saul when Samuel didn't show up. He got impatient and offered the sacrifices, which was disobedience to God's command. He lost the kingdom. Lord, forgive me for the times I've gotten impatient. The times I doubted whether you were moving because my expectations were not met or someone else's expectations were not met. May the only expectations that count be Yours. May this lead to patience, knowing that God is truly in control. Amen.
As people question, may the calling of God become greater. People will not follow someone who doubts. So be strong and confident in what God has called you to do. We must know who we are in Christ.
"We must conquer our self-reliance, insecurity, fear, and any other reason that turns us from the action God has laid before us. In the life of ministry, people will seldom surpass their leader when it comes to acting on their faith." - pg. 15 Beginning Ministerial Internship - mentor manual

No comments: