Saturday, December 15, 2007

Ananias and the Response that Changed the World!

10 Now there was a certain disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and to him the Lord said in a vision, “Ananias.” And he said, “Here I am, Lord.” 11 So the Lord said to him, “Arise and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the house of Judas for one called Saul of Tarsus, for behold, he is praying. 12 And in a vision he has seen a man named Ananias coming in and putting his hand on him, so that he might receive his sight.” 13 Then Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he has done to Your saints in Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name.” 15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.” 17 And Ananias went his way and entered the house.

I read this passage today in my devotions and it hit me. Maybe it will hit you as well. First, when God calls Ananias his first response was "Here I am, Lord." How many of us respond like that? It's as if they were already on a first name basis. That God had spoken to him before. Oh to be like Ananias in how we respond when we hear God's voice. Secondly, God calls him to go pray for Saul. Ananias is not to sure about this request. But then how many of us are? And this is my point. I don't think we see as many miracles as we could because we are not heeding God's voice to pray for everyone. What if God asks you to pray for someone you don't know? Maybe He asks you to pray for someone you don't like or who doesn't like you? Maybe He asks you to pray for the meanest person ever? What would be your response? Ananias responded the way most of us would. However, when God said to him again, "Go," he went trusting that the Lord knew better.

Can we get to a point in our lives where we truly believe that God knows better and that if we would step out and pray for whoever it might be that He is asking us to pray for, we would see a miracle? I'm praying that I can get to that point. I do not want my feelings of a person get in the way. If we want to see miracles we need to respond to God like Ananias. No matter how many doubts and/or fears that we have, we do what God asks us to do.

Imagine if Ananias might not have responded to God? Yes, God would probably have went a different route, but you never know. Saul might never have become Paul and half of the New Testament might never have been. What would the world be like if we learned to respond to God when He is speaking to us? How might this community, county, state, etc. be different if we had responded to God when He was speaking to us to pray for someone?

Let's not miss out on what God wants to do through you. Seize the opportunities that He is giving us all. We all can do it. After all, Ananias did.

No comments: