Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The End has Come...


Well, it's official. Basketball season is over for my 7th grade team. This team was the best team I've ever coached in my 7 years of coaching. Not just talent wise but attitude wise. To top things off, we won first place in our tournament. OH YEAH! We beat Dubois in the championship game. And I will just say that they were not very happy. During warm-ups, I could see that they had a "We're the best team" attitude in their faces. They were smirking and just looking at us funny. And maybe they thought they had the right to think that. After all, they had a legite 7th grader that was like 6 foot tall and looked to way about 185. The weight maybe exagerated a little, but the kid was big and muscular. But from the opening tip, we didn't let up. We pressed them, caused turnovers, and won the game. It was a great job by everyone.


I loved all of those kids and I already miss them. It's only been one day, but I missed coaching them. But I hope that I left an impression with them. Before the game Saturday, I shared with them that I didn't want them to remember me as a basketball coach or even as someone who likes the game of basketball but as someone who loves Jesus. I pray that as the years go by, they will know that they have a friend in me and ultimately a friend in Jesus.


Here is a shout out to all 18 of those guys by last name: Lattanzio, Willyard, Labutka, Kutsch, Dombroski, Dineley, Frazier, Sweeney, McElwain, Morvik, Cholak, Bowers, Aiken, Bureau, Porter, Scoccimerra, Lamison, and Walker.