Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thought for Today

A thought occured to me yesterday. As a pastor, and having pastor friends, it seems easier to fire people up by telling them you are changing the building, ministry, music, etc. than you can fire them up to tell their friends about Jesus. I think that is crazy. It should not matter how things are changed but only that we are running after Jesus and wanting to see souls saved.

I'm really stirred up about the passion I have and the church has for our missing brothers and sisters (those who don't know Jesus yet). I've been taking a good look at myself to see where I'm at in sharing the love of Christ and I'm finding out that I'm not where I need to be. And when you hear the stories of the church in America and how people care more for (see list above) we should all be ashamed. Our hearts should beat for those who do not know Jesus. We should be doing whatever we can to tell others about Jesus. If that is changing the building, then change the building. If that is creating a better discipleship process, then create a better discipleship process. Let's get focused on the real issues. Let's get fired up to tell people about Jesus and His delivering power that can set people free.

Lord, forgive me for my lack of passion for those who do not know you yet. Forgive me for focusing on other things and caring more for those things than I do these brothers and sisters. Give me a great boldness to proclaim the gospel. Give me the understanding that this world is not my home I'm just passing through. And give me the grace to not lose the fire once it catches flame and to let it spread and spur on those in the church. Amen.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Charles J. King said...

I agree! This song by Matt Redman comes to mind...

When the music fades
And all is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless Your heart
I'll bring you more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what you have required
You search much deeper within
Through the ways things appear
You're looking into my heart...