Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pentecost Sunday...

As Pentecost approaches us, I would like to hear from you on the baptism in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues. Recently, a friend of my wife's shared her frustration that the sermon she heard that Sunday was on the baptism in the Holy Spirit on Facebook. She shared that she had a bad experience with it and didn't like how some church's "push it on you" when there are a lot of gifts of the Spirit that could be talked about. Another person commented that her father wanted so badly to be filled with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues but hadn't been and felt like a failure.
As a Pentecostal pastor, I believe that everyone can be filled with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues. I want everyone to experience this gift of power that God has given to us. I want to preach about it and see people filled and speaking in tongues. (Note: I don't believe you need to speak in tongues to be saved.) But does this come across as being pushy?
I want the children to be taught, the youth to be taught, everyone to be taught about it. The key to overcoming could be to teach on the importance of the baptism in the Holy Spirit? I don't want anyone to have a bad experience nor to feel like a failure. That isn't what the Holy Spirit is all about.
What has been your experience with the baptism in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues? Do you have any thoughts in how to minister to the people mentioned above and for me in preaching about it? Your thoughts, comments, and questions are appreciated.

No comments: