Monday, July 7, 2008

Dr. Marino and Theology Class

I want to begin to share somethings that the Lord has been laying on my heart. Jesus has really been teaching me some interesting lessons. One of them has been seeking Him for what to believe and what not to believe. Let me explain.

Back in the day (96-00), in college Theology class with Dr. Bruce Marino, I would always take a C in the class by passing the exam. If you wanted to get an A or B you had to do a paper. I never did the paper because I didn't understand Theology class. We would walk in and talk about topics and people would raise their hands and share their thoughts on the subject. It was very interesting discussion on topics but I would always wait for Dr. Marino to tell us what we needed to believe. And do you know what?... he never did. I couldn't handle it. All my life I was told what to believe and here I am in college preparing for ministry and no one is telling me what to believe and what not to believe. It was frustrating to me.

Fast forward now to 2008. Here I am a pastor and I'm just figuring out the important lesson he was teaching us. I need to be able to wrestle in prayer and study scripture to know what I believe and what I do not believe. Yes, we have parents and spiritual mentors to help us along the way. But my point is that we can't just look to man to tell us what to believe. We have to seek Jesus. More to come.

No comments: