Tuesday, January 22, 2008

End of Day Two... Complications, Complications

Yesterday ended day two of the fast. For me, it was a real struggle. Satan knows when we are trying to pursue God and he will do whatever he can to get to you. First off, I wanted to go to noon time prayer at Cornerstone, Bethany needed the car to go to work so I said I would take the church van. It had been a tiring start to the day and I needed that prayer time with other believers to be encouraged. Only trouble was... the van wouldn't start. It has been sitting to long and just would not turn over. I went to pray by myself in the sanctuary and that was a struggle to stay focused. But I looked forward to gathering with everyone in the evening.

Then came the other problem. I got back from my basketball game and came down to the church and got all the lights on and the doors unlocked. Then I received... the phone call. Normally phone calls are good, especially when I looked and seen it was Bethany. I answered it and she proceeded to tell me that the keys were locked in the car and we only have one set. Talk about frustration. I headed over to Tony Roman's to get a "slim jim" and then headed to the YMCA in Kittanning to see if I could get into my car. After about 15 minutes or so, I finally had a guy help me get the slim jim in and unlock my power doors. The worst part about the whole ordeal was that I got frustrated at Bethany.

Fasting brings out the worst in us. "In us" is the part I want to focus on. What comes out as we fast, is what God wants to change in us. We rely so much on worldly things that we don't truly rely on Jesus and that is when we get frustrated at stupid things like locking keys in a car. I felt terrible that I had gotten frustrated at Bethany and I still do. But this is something I need to pray through so that by God's grace it doesn't happen again.

So what is coming out of you as you fast? Anger and frustration or more of the fruits of the Spirit? I pray that as we continue on the answer will be more of the fruits of the Spirit. This is where God is molding and shaping us.

Have your way Lord as a refiners fire, bringing the dross to the surface and scraping it away. May we truly reflect You as we continue in our fast. Amen.

No comments: