Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Valuable Lesson Learned...

My thoughts on Mary and Martha have been challenged and changed this week. I'm reading a book by Bill Johnson called "Face to Face with God." On page 119 he brings out a point that I had come to believe. Maybe you have heard it said that nothing would ever get done if we didn't have any Martha's in the world? I had heard that saying and had fallen for it. Bill Johnson points out that, "This teaching comes mostly from Martha's who are intimidated by the lifestyle of Marys. Mary wasn't a non-worker. Rather she was beginning to be like her Master, who only did what He saw the Father do. Jesus was talking, so Mary set aside other distractions and sat down to listen. She didn't get caught up in making the sandwiches that Jesus didn't order. She was learning that working from His presence is much more effective than working for His presence."

Lord, forgive me, because I had come to believe that working was how you gain favor. Yes, it was nice to sit at Jesus' feet but if there were things that needed to be done, then they should be done first. I sometimes would even get upset when people would say about sitting at Jesus' feet when I saw that things needed to be done. Oh how wrong I was. This belief gets us off track and we begin to try and earn God's favor and others favor instead of just walking in it. Jesus never ordered any sandwiches, though Martha let it become a distraction that kept her from sitting and listening to Jesus.

I let so many things become a distraction in my life even though Jesus never ordered any of it. I have even taken it into my marriage where I think that getting everything done is more important that just being with my family. It's my way of earning favor and the opportunity to say, "Look at what I did." (There's some selfishness and pride.) I can tend to get upset when things are not done and instead of spending time with Bethany and Isaiah, I will spend time doing everything that I think needs done. Yes, we need to take care of what God has given us but we should never pay a price, such as our relationship with Jesus or our family, in order to take care of it. To be a disciple is to sit at Jesus' feet and learn from Him. To not try and earn favor but to walk in the favor that is already there. I must learn how to balance everything in my life.

Bill Johnson mentions later how he has implemented in his own life quiet time where he gets alone with God and just lets God love him. He doesn't bring petitions or requests, only a reverent awe of who God is. I am asking God to help me discipline myself in this way in my relationship with Him but also in my other relationships with my family and friends. I do not want to be driven by getting things done as much as I want to be driven by the Holy Spirit in accomplishing His purposes.

I believe learning this is a big part of me knowing God more no matter the cost this year. Maybe it is something you need to learn?

Lord, forgive me of my Martha attitude. I do not need to earn Your favor, or Bethany's, or anyones. I simply need to walk in the favor that You have already given me because of Your great love. Continue to change me from the inside out as I pursue knowing You more this year, no matter the cost. Amen.

2 comments:

BurttBunch said...

Good word. Something to think about being that the comment about martha's in the world is heard a lot. Good blog.

Anonymous said...

We all need alone time with God to just let him love us.
Good word and good message.