Thursday, January 31, 2008

I'm Still Here...

Well, in case you thought I shriveled into nothingness from the fast, I am still here. I just didn't have a chance to sit down and type up my final thoughts till now.

What a wonderful week of fighting my fleshly desires for nourishment to press into Jesus more. At the beginning of the week, all I could think about was the day I would get to eat a burger and fries. All week long my thoughts would run to that every now and then. (Especially when I went to Wendy's to get my wife and son something to eat before church last Wednesday.) But when I finally got to the end of my fast, (I ate chicken noodle soup Thursday night because of having a basketball game on Friday and not knowing if their would be adverse conditions to eating lunch and then riding on a school bus to Deer Lakes) food wasn't that important. I went to Wendy's for lunch on Friday and it wasn't what I expected it would be on Monday. As much as I love food, it just didn't meet the expectations I had for it to meet. When we take something away from ourselves for awhile, we actually see what it is. Then we can refocus on who Jesus is and just how great and awesome He is.

I had put so much emphasis on food and pop in my life that they had really begun to control me. I still like eating and drinking pop but they don't have the same hold on me as they did. My expectations are on what is God going to do because He is greater than food or drink. It was a great disciplining week and I pray that throughout this year I will take time to continue to excercise the spiritual discipline of prayer and fasting. May God truly answer the prayers that were prayed as we sought His face throughout the week. Amen.

I was also encouraged by the response of everyone who fasted. People at all different points of the spiritual journey, took time to pray and fast. God is truly uniting this church in new ways. Look out! 2008 is not going to be the same.

1 comment:

Debby F. said...

Hi Pastor Craig!

This comment is more about today's service (Feb 3, 08) than about your blog entry. Church was AMAZING today - and your message was one of your VERY best ever! I was so encouraged, especially with the positive comments after the service from people in the congregation. Everyone I talked to seemed to be excited and anticipating what the Lord was going to do next! I know I am! It was exciting to see the Holy Spirit move in such a powerful way during worship too! GLORY!!!!!!!