Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Church is not the Building

After reading a post by Jack Thomas, someone I played basketball against in college but am now just getting the opportunity to know and truly appreciate, I think I need to write what has been on my heart. Church isn't a building. So when people say this or that church is dead, they are talking about people, since we already know that buildings are not living beings. Unless it is a transformer, just kidding. When you begin to say things like this, I think we also need to take a look at our own life and see if we are bringing any life into the building.

It is becoming something that really irritates me when I hear that our church, specifically, is dying. (Not that I've heard this recently.) Because when I look out at the people we have in our congregation, I see people who want to do what God has called them to do. They may be a little scared or feel overwhelmed over the task ahead but they want to pursue the adventure that is living for Jesus Christ. I see people committing themselves to being part of and making others feel welcome to our OHANA. We are beginning to unite through vision and the sky is the limit. So, I don't for a minute think that we are a dead church. (Yes, we have had our share of difficulties the past 8 years, but we are overcoming them one at a time and will continue to overcome them and become all that God has called us to be.)

The people who say such statements should really check themselves. Because the only dead church their can be is a dead individual, since we are the church. I'm challenged by this thought. It is so easy to look on the outside of things and say that this or that church is dying instead of looking at myself and seeing what I might be able to do to help bring life to that church and that pastor. Yes, we have to be honest when their are struggles but it should never lead us to pull the plug on the people who make up any church. The King always has another move! He can breathe life into dead, dry bones, as He did in Ezekiel's case. And He can do it for churches today. PRAISE THE LORD!

Lord, continue to breathe life into the NLC and the churches here in Ford City and Kittanning. May we not put down or pull the plug on any church but begin to see through your eyes of life. Let us live lives that would help bring life into places that seem to be dying. The atmosphere is changing and your glory is filling this place. Let it be. Amen.

No comments: