Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hidden Sackcloth

I worked under a pastor that once said to me that as a pastor you will have days where you go through every emotion that you can think of. There has been many things to be excited about here at the NLC but I have to admit that there is a major concern I have... marriages. I am hearing far to many stories of church going people who are ending marriages that have been together for 5, 10, 25, even 40 years. My heart breaks as I hear the reasons why? And most of the reasons come from lack of communication which leads to lack of knowing one's role. You've heard it spoken negatively but there is truly something to "Know your role." A thought that came from todays noon time prayer was that America is filled with babies marrying babies then having babies. Nobody is being taught their role in a marriage (attention parents) and no one, once they are married, is talking about what their role is in the marriage. Everyone just has a thought of what their spouse is supposed to do. Husbands take out the garbage and mow the lawn. Wives cook and clean. Trouble arises when one of the spouses doesn't do what we think they are supposed to do. There is no written code that says that the above mentioned is how a marriage is to operate. But instead of talking through issues like this and being willing to humble ourselves and admit a weakness, we argue and fight to the detriment of the marriage and any children that may be involved. We become critics of the other saying things like "You are lazy" and "I can't live with you anymore" and many other horrible things. There is no team work and no compromise.
When there is communication and each of us is willing to share issues we have, then things can be worked out. I really feel like the church has become a place where we hide the real issues in our lives and put on a facade so that no one knows the pain inside. There are people right now in the NLC that are struggling in their marriage, their walk with the Lord, etc. and you wouldn't even know it. It's breaking my heart the pride that we have in us that we are unwilling to go to a pastor or elder or counselor or whoever to find help working through our issues.
Please join me in praying for marriages. Satan is truly trying to rip the family apart and I'm seeing it more and more right in front of me. Lord, help men and women to begin to communicate and work together. May their be humility and healing in every marriage that is in turmoil right now. That each family will become strong once again. Amen. More on this later.

No comments: